Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Many Faces of Jack


I love how different he looks in each one of these pictures. He seems to have changed so much just in the last few weeks. Jack has been eating like crazy and packing on the pounds (okay, maybe just packing on the ounces, but still...). Hauling him around is a real workout. He's about to start walking, but for now his mobility is restricted to being walked around by an adult (ouch- my back!) or pushing around his little push cart (as seen in the background of the third picture). It took him awhile to figure out how to turn it, but now he pushes that thing all over the house like a pro. He just plows right over everything in his path and bashes into the furniture if it's in his way. The best part is that he cracks himself up and often laughs so hard that he falls over. It's pretty cute.

The big first birthday is coming up! I'm at the point in my curriculum where I was last year when I was oh-so-very-pregnant (I taught until the day before he was born). I keep getting little flashes of memory during my lessons. It was such an exciting and scary time. I remember wondering what I would do if my water broke in class, so I finally decided to confide in one student in each period who would agree to call the office if I suddenly ran out of the classroom. Fortunately for us all, it didn't happen that way!

Our plan is to spend his birthday in Central Oregon with some friends. Jack will be having a very small birthday party (yes, we will let him eat cake, and yes, it will have real sugar-gasp!). I also plan to spend some time in a hot tub on his birthday, cause hey, I deserve a bit of celebration, too.

2 comments:

Not quite the Bradys said...

I love the expression on his face in the third picture. He is just so darn CUTE. I always figured you'd have beautiful children, but my gosh, woman! I think you're setting the bar a little high. Walking is such a fun stage. One year old. Have you started having those moments of parenthood where you go- "I'm not old enough to (fill in the blank)."? (e.g.- have a 1 year-old, assemble a tricycle from Santa on Christmas Eve, be sending a kid off to school, explain puberty to my daughter, etc.) If not, those moments are just around the corner. And around the corner. And another one too. Everywhere you turn you feel not old enough and then one day you wake up and there you are. A grandmother. HA HA. Enjoy it!

Gramps said...

Of course he is a cutie -- look at his parents? (And maybe grandparents too?) Sorry I will miss Birthday # 1. It feels like he has been in our lives for much longer. Give him a big birthday kiss for me and tell him I'll celebrate when we get back. (Tell him to thank his gracious parents for letting me use their truck!)
Love from Gramps