Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Introducing....



Sawyer Nicholas Ross

The newest member of our family, who decided to surprise us on Sunday by arriving twelve days early. Oh, and by having so much hair!

My labor started on Saturday night, but I had convinced myself that the contractions must been Braxton-Hicks because we were certainly not ready to have a baby so soon. I woke up on Sunday with painful contractions, but again, we were not ready so it must still be false labor... We went out for breakfast, visited some friends at the hospital who had just had their baby, did some shopping, etc. All the while I felt the contractions growing in intensity, and yet I continued to deny the fact that I might actually be in labor. Finally I called the midwife to check in and she reassured me that since I was able to have the conversation with her, it must be false labor. We decided I would rest and drink some water and see what happened. Suddenly it occurred to me that I just might be having this baby after all, so frantically I whipped up and emailed lesson plans to my sub (this was supposed to be my last week at work). By then I realized that the contractions were the real deal and as soon as Brent came home from a meeting, we made arrangements to head to the Birth Center. We arrived at 6:30pm and Sawyer was born at 7:47. Cutting it close once again. I guess that's how we roll...

The birth was fast and furious, and the midwife and nurse were wonderful support. Brent helped me manage the pain naturally and we definitely felt more like we knew what we were doing this time around. We couldn't have picked a better place than the Birth Center- such a different experience than a hospital birth- and they let us go home that night.

Sawyer is settling into his new surroundings and Jack is (slowly) getting used to sharing the spotlight with his baby brother. Thanks to all our friends, neighbors, and family who are feeding and supporting us during this time.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Only you, Cassadie, would manage to cut it that close. Actually, I have a friend who didn't think she was in labor the second time around, and when she realized she was, she headed with her mom out to her car, but didn't make it to the birth center and had the baby on a piece of carpet in the garage. You did much better. Congratulations!

Summer said...

Congratulations!! That is an amazing tale, I am extremely impressed that you gave birth naturally!

hope you get lots of rest ;)

Anonymous said...

I love him already! He is adorable and I can't wait to meet him next week. Xavier is also excited about his new cousin! I am happy for you that he did not come late and risk the chance of being bigger (ouch!) Good to hear that you are all healthy and doing well.
-Tracie

Unknown said...

Sawyer's photo doesn't do him justice; he is already looking around and becoming aware of the world around him. He has beautiful long fingers and likes to stick his tongue out.

Seeing and holding Sawyer really brings home what a sturdy healthy big boy his brother Jack is growing into.
Brent and Cassadie are very good at beautiful babies, don't you think!
Gramma Mary

Sally Deck said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh CONGRATULATIONS!

Not quite the Bradys said...

Sounds like the ideal birth! Congratulations! I am so excited for you and feel bad that I am just finding out about it. Being on the only island isolated from the internet in the known universe has not been so great. Anyway- yay for making it there. As far as coming home the same night: when you get to this end of the spectrum you start begging the doctor to tell the insurance company that it is "necessary" for you to stay an EXTRA night. The nurses may wake you up and push on your uterus and generally make a nuisance of themselves, but not nearly so much as a bunch of kids will. : )